Monday, May 30, 2011

Round 2 Goes to ... Austin! :)

Well, Austin is going to be attending the school we applied for ... YAY!  (He was denied last year.)  I filed for a "cross-boundary transfer" a while ago to request a school that is better suited for Austin.  I was so happy to hear that he will be attending there and the meeting I was at this morning, I have to say, I was very impressed.  The team I met with were very thorough, understanding, supportive and professional.  I am relieved ... whew!  I am so grateful that we have this option for Austin because we feel that introduction to school is extremely important for him.  Everyone that I met with this morning considers that a priority, I couldn't be happier!

We will still have to file the report from the Psychiatrist after Austin sees her to ensure the funding comes through for him (Round 3).  The school is going to file the documentation they have so far.  They really are being very helpful and I am so grateful.

I feel that even though I accomplished this goal, it is Austin who is the winner.  He will benefit from this placement, and well, that's what drives me, to get Austin what he needs to succeed.  I believe he deserves the best and what parent doesn't want that for their children? :)

*HUGS* to all!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Pond

A "time-warp" post.

About 3 years ago, just before Austin turned 3, I gave birth to Kaleigh.  She was just a newborn when someone very close to me came to visit with her children.  (I have altered her name in my posts to protect her privacy and call her "Tink".)  During our visit, my mother in-law came over (she lives next door) and asked to take Austin down to the pond.  (We have a pond just around the corner from our house.)  I thought it would be okay since I took Austin to the pond all the time and he was always good.  We would go and feed the ducks.  He really enjoyed it.  I didn't think twice about letting him go with my mother in-law since she spent a lot of time with him and she took him to the pond many times before that day.  Tink and her children decided to go as well.

Everyone got ready and set out for the pond.  I was taking care of Kaleigh (probably nursing because that's all she did for the first while, being a newborn).  Not long after, I heard this terrible screaming, crying and shrieking, like I have never heard before.  My heart fell out of my chest ... swear!  My mother in-law was carrying Austin and he was soaking wet!  OMG!  "What happened?!"  My mother in-law said that Austin had fallen in the pond.  How in God's name did he fall in the pond?!  Where was he standing to do this?  Where was my mother in-law at the time that he could fall in the water?  I was too scared to be angry.  I have never seen Austin so upset, and still to this day, never seen him this distraught.  It was truly frightening.  I got him out of the cold wet clothes (it was March/April and the water was very cold!) and calmed down.  Tink did not say much at the time.  I could tell by the look on her face that she felt badly.  Needless to say, I was upset that Austin was left by the pond on his own!  "What ifs?" went through my head for days and days ... I still do not like to think about this even now.

Eventually Tink told me that Austin had been standing by the pond and as she was heading up the road with her children she "saw" Austin run into the pond.  I thought, why didn't she run after him?  My mother in-law said that Austin "fell" in the pond.  My mother in-law was just up from the pond clearing a branch one of the other children had thrown in the road.  I could not understand why she would do this and leave Austin on his own near the water.  Tink's story at the time was meant to alert me to the fact that she believed Austin was impulsive and didn't know fear.  She felt he should be checked because he might not be developing "typically".  I did not receive this well as you can imagine and was defensive about the subject.  (Austin never missed a milestone and was always checked thoroughly by his doctor.)   I told her he had never, ever tried to run into the pond and I felt that he must have gotten too close and fell in the water.  Either way, I was furious ... he could have drowned!  The water is not too deep but you just never know!  There are logs and vines everywhere, he could have gotten caught and fell under ... I just can't think about it ...

What happened that day is still a mystery to me.  I have no idea what really happened.  All I know is that my baby was put in jeopardy.  I never leave Austin's side no matter what when we are out.  I hang onto him for dear life because I cannot trust what he may do.  It is true that 99% of the time, everything goes smoothly, but who wants to take the chance on that 1%.  Would you?  I think not. 

I decided to post this story because of little ones like Adam.  Anything can happen to our special little treasures and that horrible day showed me how a second or so could have changed everything I hold dear in my life.  I was just very lucky and blessed my son was okay. 

All the best ... *HUGS*

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Little Ones Lost II

I am so sad to let everyone know, that little Adam, who wandered off in April, was found the other day.  He drowned the day he went missing and he was recovered this past Tuesday.  How terribly sad and tragic.

I wanted to write this post for Adam and feel that awareness is so important to help keep these tragedies from happening again.  It only takes a few seconds, and they can disappear and be gone forever.

Poor Adam.  I am very sad that he passed away, just a baby ... my deepest sympathies go out to his family and all who love him.  I am so very sorry for their devastating loss.

*HUGS* and love to all.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Round 1 Goes to Mama GRIZZLY!

Well, I got a call from the school board the other day and it seems after they received my documentation, someone will be going to see Austin at his school after all.  I have to say, I am extremely pleased for Austin and very happy with myself.  I promised Austin I will fight with all my might and will continue to do so.  I want him to be safe and have help adapting to the new environment of an elementary school.  We will see what this woman has to say after her visit.

Hmmm, one question that I decided not to ask (I was trying to catch a bee with honey and bypass the vinegar ... lol) was why are they sending someone to see Austin now?  They cancelled because he does not have a diagnosis according to them.  Why the change of heart?  I find it quite strange since they were so adamant.  They know that he is to see a Psychiatrist soon, did that change their minds?  Or was it the thorough report the Psychologist wrote that I submitted?  I have no idea, and right now, I am not going to even bring it up!  Someone is going to observe him and that was goal number one ... YAY!  Achieved!  Maybe they just did it to stop the grizzly from roaring ... nah ... I haven't even started yet!  LOL!

*HUGS* to all!

Friday, May 6, 2011

The Sweetest of Hearts

One thing that remains consistent about Austin is his wonderful heart, it just oozes sweetness.  Even when I was pregnant with Austin, I would tell people that I had no idea what his personality would be like ("active' because he moved A LOT ... lol) but I knew he would be sweet.  That feeling stuck with me my whole pregnancy, this sweetness ... hard to explain, but I felt it.  He was a good baby too, a hungry one, but very good.  Loved to be held and cuddled, very sweet. :)

Yesterday was my husband's great Uncle's Birthday.  I picked Austin up from school and told him we had to drop a Birthday card off at our Uncle's house.  Austin proceeded to tell me that we needed "to bake him a cake".  I explained that we did not have time to bake one since we were on our way to his house right away.  Austin said (something like this) "Well, he has to have a cake for his Birthday, let's go buy him one!".  "Okay ... " I replied.  Austin said that "The cake has to have strawberries.".  So we went in the store and looked for a cake with whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate.  We purchased the cake and we were on our way.

I got to our Uncle's house and he was out for a walk.  Our Auntie took the cake and card and said "Thank you".  She expressed how touched she was and how happy our Uncle would be by the gesture.  As we walked back to the truck, our Uncle was walking up the lane way.  So I told Austin to go and wish him a Happy Birthday and give him a hug.  Austin, in true fashion, went running to our Uncle and jumped into his arms to give him a hug.  OMG!  "Austin do not do that ... you could hurt him."  Our Uncle turned 86 yesterday.  A very sweet, talented and good man.  Thank goodness he was alright and Austin didn't knock him over!  He was just excited to see him and wish him Happy Birthday.  He rarely gives anyone an open (front) hug, he will usually turn his back and people have to hug him that way.  Not our Uncle, poor guy got more than he bargained for!  Anyway, he was a good sport and told me it was okay and not to worry.  I told him we left him a little surprise inside and it was Austin's idea.  He was very happy.  So, a kiss, a hug and a Happy Birthday and we were on our way.

It is interesting to finally see Austin verbalizing the connections he's making and acting on them.  I have always known what a sweetie he is ... anyone who knows him will say that he is a sweet boy.  It is just nice to see his sweetness in motion.

*HUGS* to all!   Wishing all the Mothers a very Happy Mother's Day! :)