Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Dance with me Mommie!"

Since Austin was an infant, he has always loved it when I danced with him.  Most people rock their babies or walk them up and down the hallway (some of my family members used to do this with Austin as a newborn ... for hours!).  I found that holding him and playing music softly or singing to him lightly, while dancing with him, really settled him down.  Could not explain it at the time, but it worked!   The "dancing lullaby"! ;)

I have always LOVED dance and used to study when I was young.  I believe everyone is born with a passion in life.  What they are meant, or were put here to do, mine is dance.  Nothing gave me such happiness until I had my children.  I am very blessed. :)

When Austin was a newborn, I used to put on music and dance around ... he LOVED it!  So one day, I picked him up, put on a ballad and waltzed around the house with him, he fell asleep!  When we were at Christmas (the first year he was born, he was only 5 months old), we wanted to settle him to put him to sleep.  He was a bit fussier than normal ... all the people maybe or he may have just been played out.  (I figure it was too stimulating for him looking back now.)  So I took him upstairs in a quiet and dark room and sang to him (Mickey Gilly's "Stand By Me" if you can believe that!) and swayed back and forth slowly ... low and behold ... he settled almost right away and went to sleep.  This worked for months and months when he was little.  It was my little "sleeping spell".  It was so sweet to see him that content and calm.  :)

To this day, Austin LOVES to dance!  He wants me to pick him up and dance around with him.  Uhhh, he is very big but sometimes I do pick him up for a few minutes and dance around the house.  He really thinks it is fun!  I miss that time so much when he was little and I could hold him and dance around as he fell asleep ... it is wonderful to just sit and think about it though.  They grow and change so fast, I am glad I took the time to appreciate the little treasure I was given and can smile at the memory of my little baby boy, happy, secure and asleep in my arms ... what a gift ...  :)

*HUGS*

6 comments:

Susan said...

I've just started reading your blog but let me just say reading what I have is like reading my own experiences! My son who will be 7 in a few days started out very much like yours and is still the same in alot of ways but has progressed so much since he was diagnosed at 4 years old. I look forward to reading more!

Mommie that Gets It said...

Hi Susan, welcome to my blog and thank you so much! :) *HUG* for you!

I wish you all the best, to you and your family and hope you will continue to enjoy reading my blog.

Thanks again! :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT SWEEEEETY, YOU ARE GREAT!!
LOVE YOU TO DEATH, V

Anonymous said...

love you my girl, i'll try to send you some music to dance with my hephew

Mommie that Gets It said...

LOVE YOU TOO V! Thank you honey! OX

Mommie that Gets It said...

Thanks V! I am sure Austin will love whatever music you send ... me too! LOVE YOU MUCHO! :) OXOXOXOXOXOX