Monday, May 19, 2014

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

Austin was badly bullied last year by a boy at school.  It really did get difficult and poor Austin dealt with it much better than I ever would.  This year, there is another child who bullies and bothers him a lot.  (I have blogged about it in previous posts.)  After an Autism Awareness rally at school not too long ago, Austin announced to his classmates that he has autism.  This seemed to make sense to the little boy who is bothering Austin.

I explained previously to Austin, that this little boy is struggling with his own challenges and if he does something to upset him, just walk away.  Do not engaged in conversation or play, just turn the other cheek and walk away.  Austin has done so and this seems to be helping with the bullying by reducing it.

It is was brought to my attention that this other boy is very upset that Austin will not acknowledge him, even if the boy says "Hello".  Austin's teacher approached him and tried to appeal to Austin but, being my son, of course, he will have none of it!  You can only mess with this lad until he has hit his limit and then, he's done!  I approached him and explained that what he was doing was very rude and it costs nothing to say "Hello".  I told him he does not have to be his friend but if someone says "Hello" please say "Hello".  If the little boy asks a question or says something that requires a response and it is of an appropriate nature, please respond.  It does not have to be a lengthy conversation and no one is expecting a friendship.

During this discussion the other day, when the situation was brought to my attention, I broke down into tears because I know Austin is like this because of the terrible bullying he has endured in the past.  This one child, hit, kit, smacked, punched and pushed Austin so he hit his head, it was cut and there was a big bump on it!  He was so hysterical that day his head was injured, I had to be called to the school to calm him down.  When I showed up (only minutes later) Austin was in his classroom with the other children around him, some trying to calm him, overcome with tears!  OMG!  I cannot tell you the heartbreak I felt for him!  It brings me to tears every time I think of it.  I explained during the meeting the other day, Austin has been down this road before and trust does not come easily the second time round.  Who can blame him really?  Poor guy, there is always someone picking on him, very sad.

After I spoke to Austin, he understood that he would not like someone to not acknowledge his "Hello" or ignore him, so he promised me he would respond to the boy if spoken to.  That is really all I can ask and do not expect more from him.  I am very PROUD to have such a tenderhearted young man.  I LOVE YOU DUDE! :) OX

All the best! *HUGS*

2 comments:

Judy Whatilivefor said...

Poor Austin...I don't blame him for feeling that way. I hope things start going better with this other boy in his class.

Mommie that Gets It said...

Hi Judy,

Thank you! Me too! Thank goodness summer break is coming soon! I hope all is well!

:) Heather