Saturday, September 19, 2015

Transgender Talk

I have wanted to do a post about this topic for a while.  Not that I have any in depth knowledge on the subject, but Austin has discussed it with me since he watches "I am Jazz" and I explained to him about Caitlyn Jenner.  He understood it quite well and had a lot to say and ask questions about a child  that is a transgender female who he knew before transitioning.  (That is a post for another day.)

Tonight we were driving into town to pick up dinner.  My husband is away fishing with the guys so I thought, I deserve a break, Chinese food it is!  While I am driving, I hear Austin talking to Kaleigh about transgendered individuals.  Kaleigh is enlightening Austin with her knowledge of how someone transitions from a male to a female.  What changes and what doesn't (she doesn't go too in-depth, to her, you take pills and you can change gender).  Austin verbalizing back what his understanding is about transgendered females and males.  It is really interesting to hear a 7 year old and a 10 year old discussing this subject.  There is no prejudice or judging, just a very innocent conversation back and forth.  At the end of their conversation, Kaleigh said to me "Mom, I wish I was transgender, then I could be the brother Austin always wanted!"  "Gotcha Kaleigh!"  You would have to meet this little girl, she is wise beyond her years and anyone who meets her, agrees!

I have always taught my children to accept people for who they are and everyone is different in their own way.  They have asked a lot of questions in the last year about transgendered individuals and I have done my best to answer them.  It is important to me that Austin and Kaleigh continue to keep an open mind and loving heart!  They are both very sweet children.  I can only pray that they will continue to mature with the same attitudes and acceptance that I encourage.

All the best! *HUGS*

No comments: