Monday, July 22, 2013

Promoting Propriety

Austin's party was Saturday.  It was not what it should have been.  Only 2 boys showed up out of 10 children that were invited.  I did receive a call from a parent who said her children were not be able to attend, that was weeks back, and I thank her and the parents that responded to the invitation, too bad they were the minority.  It is so sad in this day and age that people do not seem to care about proper etiquette.  No to mention, so disrespectful to Austin!

I was very disappointed this weekend.  I could not believe that 6 adults could not email or call me to tell me their children would not be attending the party.  I asked for an R.S.V.P. by a certain date and included the information to reach me.  Even if the children did not want to come, for whatever reason, and I am not saying that is the case, they did not show up.  I am not upset at them, it would have been nice to know and I always respect someone and let them know if I am coming or not.  My kids invitations are always confirmed by a requested date and if we cannot attend, we always purchase a gift (I do not expect that from other parents but I feel it is appropriate since that is how I was raised).

I am still stunned!  Thank goodness Austin was not really upset about it.  He was so happy about the Radical Science guy that spent an hour making bubbly potions in our living room, that he really did not care, or at least that is what he has told us.  Kaleigh, on the other hand, had many questions about why people did not come to the party.  I told her that people must be away for vacation.  Something simple for a 5 year old to understand.  Being the bright star she is, I do not think she believed me.  She keeps questionning here than there about it so I just say "I do not know".

Austin had fun and got a new 3DS (flame red) that he really wanted so he is very distracted and happy with it.  I was more upset for him and thought that what happened was very disrespectful.  I am grateful my parents instilled manners in me and I pass them onto my children.  To me, even if I may seem old fashioned, etiquette is important.  Too bad not everyone feels that way.

I wonder how one of these parents would have felt if it was their child's party?  I hope that they never find out.

All the best!  *HUGS*


2 comments:

Judy Whatilivefor said...

My mom is British, so etiquette was a huge thing in our house growing up. I still show up to doctor's appointments 15 minutes late like she taught me and try so hard to RSVP to every invitation because it's considerate. As the person hosting, it's important to know how many people to plan for food-wise, etc. I'm sorry that happened to you, but glad Austin enjoyed his party.

Mommie that Gets It said...

Hi Judy,

Thank you! Yes, manners are very important to me. I always respect people by telling them if I am coming or not. I would not do that to someone. I am very happy that Austin had fun and he was not really bothered by it. Kaleigh seemed to question it more than he did.

Wishing you all the best!

:) *HUGS*